Coronavirus Update: Wednesday, 25 March, 2020
Hello again everyone,
We want to thank you for praying for our church board that met last night by Zoom.
There was lots to discuss and very tough decisions to make. But apparently, the government helped make those decisions definitive for us.
- Offerings - Marnie wants us to know that if you put your offering in an external mail box, it goes to Ottawa to be sorted and may take a week or longer to get to the church. If you hand your mail directly to the postal clerk inside, it will go directly into our Verona post box with no delay. (And yes, you still need a stamp to do that.)
- Marnie is working on an alternative direct path for giving and we'll update you when that information becomes available. If you want to send cheques, she suggests several post-dated to help the process.
- Staff - As we said last week, our Admin Assistant Marcia was laid off as we decided to close the offices beginning this week. With Trudeau's declaration that ALL NON-essential services are to close their doors, we were already in compliance with that. Please pray for Marcia. She's a go-er and a do-er and is an incredible help to our office. Pray she'll have peace and rest and get her EI package soon.
- Pastor Dave - With services halted, building closure and youth up in the air, we felt we also needed to lay off Pastor Dave so he could also get the full EI package. He will graciously keep certain connections on a volunteer basis. Please pray with us that this uncertain time will be over quickly and we can bring these crucial servants back to work. They are such a blessing to us all.
- Caretakers - Also with the building closed to events, we felt the need to temporarily lay off our cleaning services. Anyone who has need to doing anything in the building, please use the clorox wipes provided at the greeters' table to wipe down railings, surfaces that you have touched or where you have worked, and thoroughly clean any mess you may make. We love Norm and Carolee and their work for us is stellar. Pray that we can bring them back as soon as possible. And pray that the government's EI equivalent for self-contracted individuals will be passed in parliament.
- Pastor Kathy - This is a time for creativity. FMC in Canada is in constant communication with all our pastors to help and encourage churches at this time. Technological advances are making it possible to keep connected. I am going to continue to pastor our church in creative ways. You have already seen the updates, Devotion Corner, and the Sunday videos will continue. Those who do not have computers to receive these updates are phoned with the information. Our Tuesday morning prayer meeting was held by Zoom conference call, as was our board meeting, and maybe even our home Bible Study groups can try this too. We need to stay connected in every way we can. I will carry on some of Marcia's admin duties as well as some of Pastor Dave's duties. The board and I will be calling all of you from time to time to check in with you for needs, concerns, and prayer requests.
These were very difficult decisions we made. Thank you for your prayers. Let's all lift each other up to the Lord daily in our prayers.
Pastor Kathy and Ron Bruyns, Board chair.
p.s. If you hear of someone not receiving the email updates, please tell them to check their spam folder as spam sometimes identifies emails that are blind copied (bcc).
Coronavirus Update: Saturday, 21 March, 2020
Hello again Church,
I've been chatting with Board Chair Ron Bruyns and we are responding to recent prompts from the government and Health Canada.
The mandate is now "STAY HOME". All non-essential moving about needs to be canceled.
Here are our current decisions for the church.
- the church office will be closed until further notice. Please pray for Marcia.
- at this point, please send your offerings by Canada Post. They will be counted weekly.
- Tuesday prayer meeting is canceled, but prayer time is not. Pastor Dave and I will not be at the office but can be reached by phone any time for prayer and phone visits. Send us emails and calls and we will be praying for you Tuesday at 11 a.m. specifically (and more).
- If you have been traveling, please have others pick up your groceries, prescriptions, etc. for you so you can self-isolate for 14 days. If you need someone to help, please contact me. Others are offering their services and I can put you in touch with someone to help you.
- I will be sending out a short video devotional from Pastor Dave and I on Sunday morning by email. Please watch it and pray for our church.
- the Board will meet Tuesday night at 6:00 by Conference call. If you have anything that you feel we need to discuss, please let Ron Bruyns know before that time.
May the Lord bless you and keep you, may he make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you, may he turn his face towards you - wherever you are - and give you peace - that peace that transcends all understanding even at a time like this. Our God is that big!
See you on Sunday for the video.